More Thoughts From Raimey

"Have a gander at the 1st pic on the 3rd row at Cabela's site which lists a Sauer 20 bore hammergun with typical Sauer marks at: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=11653 . The Sauer trademark from 1882 is the "Caveman", possibly Hercules(but I've been reprimanded for this reference) at say the top of the barrel flats. It could be found on the tubes, the flats or the watertable and on all. I'll email you one if I have a electronic copy. Note that there are some letters in an "oval" on the underside of the right tube. Sometimes the rib hides the marks."

"I don't see anything just yet. The "Crown" over "S" is the German proof mark noting the tube is destined for shot as a load at double the service/standard load in the first proof while the Imperial Eagle/Proof Eagle- Beschussadler neuer art(grazing animal) notes the tube has experienced threefold the normal charge. I don't think the amount was changed in the 1912 rules."

"I now see that the mark overstruck by the 16.2 could be "HS" and for the person responsible for fitting the tubes to the action. I don't see an "oval" around it and it could or could not be the same person as the other "H.S.". A few choices are:

Hermann Schlegelmilch of Suhl
Hermann Schlegelmilch of Zella-Mehlis
H. Schaller of Suhl
Heinrich Scharfenbert of Zella-Mehlis
Hans Schaum of Franken & Lunenschloss(usually "F&L") of Suhl
H. Schilling of Suhl
Hugo Schilling of Suhl
Hugo and Hans Schmeisser of Suhl - probably not
Hermann Schneider, etc.

On a previous post I noted that that there was a Sauer-Schlegelmilch connection, and Schlegelmilch did source components from Sauer as well as others, but I meant to note the Sauer-Ernst Steigleder connection as Steigleder was a firearms merchant and most firearms merchants first were gunsmiths, some being master gunsmiths.

"I failed to mention that "HS" could have been the Hermann in Suhl or Zella St. Blasii.  It also could be some other master gunsmith for the Suhl/Zella St. Blassi/Zella-Mehlis region with the initials HS.  This is where the guessing really begins.  I don't know if Hermann would double stamp the tube if he only did the barrel making and action fitting and I don't think the stamps to be the same for now."
 

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

1 comment:

tymon_56 said...

I am wondering for some information about 308 ar manufacturers, please send me some detail about manufacturers of gun.

308 ar manufacturers